Saturday 17 March 2012

My pillars of strength

When you finally gather the courage to let someone know your fears, it is not so that they can judge you but so that they know that you need help. I have been feeling really well lately despite the issues I still have to face. I decided that tonight was a good night to tell my parents about my chronic nightmares because I wasn't worried about them anymore.

Hand holding the bottle of pills and crying, I told them about the nightmares. I told them I was killed and abused in every way imaginable. My mother's reply, straight out was, ' It's because you're a bad person.' Tears stopped, I looked at her in disbelief. How could she say that when I was openly showing her my vulnerability? She said, 'It's because you're bad to me that you're being punished.'

I felt myself crumbling apart again. But there were people who held me together. My brothers told me that they appreciate what I do for my family. My best friend told me not to listen to my mother, that I'm a good person. Mark, my ex-boyfriend told me that although we don't communicate much anymore, he still cares about me. Mark says that before he met me, he lost faith in humanity but I alone represent what's good about people. I feel very humble and honoured by his words. I don' think I deserve such appraisal but to know that someone thinks so highly of me gives me strength to smile. He told me about someone he knew who committed suicide today. He worries that I would break down from everything that's been going on. He quoted my own words back to me and told me to remember them, 'I may be small but these wings will fly high.' He says that although he worries, he knows I'm strong. I have always been everyone's pillar.

And these people, who care so much about me are my pillars of strength. I admit that I have thought about suicide once but I won't. Running away does not solve anything. I know there are heaps of people who care about me, I won't ever hurt them by ignoring their support and belief in me.

I am grateful that I am blessed to have these people in my life: my brothers, Rachel, Mark, my cousin and blogger friend B.


2 comments:

  1. Your strength and determination amazes me, and I respect you tremendously for pushing forward and realizing the people who are good for you. I've always thought you to be a beautiful, compassionate person which is why I think you're seeing that so willingly returned.

    I know you face some tough times but please always remember I'll be here to lift you up.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barry. I appreciate your support. -hugs-

    ReplyDelete